- Spend more time at work getting work done (failure)
- Spend less time at work and in life shopping online (failure)
- Eat less fudge (success! but only because I hardly made any fudge this year)
I always thought the ideas of New Year's resolutions were dumb because any time I've actually made a meaningful change in my life or habits, it has been because I was really ready to do it and not because it just so happened to be a new year. That said, it doesn't hurt to be aware of the things you need to improve on so I will make a pseudo resolution list this year - things I know I need to change and will make an active effort to try and change everyday and not just because of some holiday.
- Be more productive at work. Seriously, I can't get shit done lately. I don't know if it's residual bad feelings from my little personnel issue or I'm just not that into what I'm working on lately but it's a very serious issue and it makes me unhappy. One of the reasons I was able to get my shit together when I started taking school seriously was because I learned to love doing work and genuinely enjoy that feeling of getting a lot accomplished. There was nothing better than 5:00 hitting on a day when I woke up early and left at 7 to get a Caramel Brûlée Latte and sit in the library and get a ton of stuff done, just have pages and pages of notes and practice problems to show for it (not to mention an empty pack of cigarettes, but I'm not in that habit anymore thankfully). I want to feel that way when I leave work, plus I think it will help me enjoy my downtime more.
- Be more honest with everyone. Sometimes I'm moody and irritable, believe it or not. Unfortunately my chosen method of dealing with this is just not talking to people and giving them curt, one word answers. This isn't the right way to deal with these things. I have to figure out how to be honest about my feelings with other people and when they do things that upset me without just going the "no, it's fine, leave me alone" route. I'm hoping writing these things will help me do that!
- Keep in touch more. I have so many great friends that I just let fall by the wayside because I am a lazy lump and would rather lay on my couch alone watching Netflix than see other human beings. Sometimes I think that's a result of my own bad feelings about myself, but sometimes I know it's just sheer laziness. It's not fair to my friends and it's not fair to me either, so I have to stop. I have to push myself to go out and stay out and let myself enjoy things rather than preemptively ruin them by refusing to go.
- Take better care of my possessions. I own so many lovely items of clothing and bags and I just taken them off when I get home and toss them on the floor and let them lay there until the next morning, or even longer in some cases. My sweaters seem to pill more quickly and more easily than other people's do, and my tanks seem to become discolored more quickly. I need to figure out why this is and be much less hard on my clothes.
- Drink more water. Can't go wrong with that one!
I'll keep thinking about these and try and post more if I think of them. What are your resolutions/things you want to change?